Modern Foreign Languages
Curriculum Intent 2021/2022
Curriculum Map 2021/2022
Curriculum Journey 2021/2022
Languages at Goffs
People who have a skill in a foreign language will be at a great advantage when looking for jobs as many multinational companies in different employment sectors need people who can communicate effectively. Employers tell us that those who have studied a Modern Language to GCSE have skills which they value highly and they therefore look for Language skills when short listing for interview. Some jobs and courses, for example Primary School teaching, require students to have qualifications in Modern Languages.The skills acquired studying a Modern Language to GCSE form a sound basis for the future study of any other language, for business or leisure projects.
Programme of Study
We offer Spanish, Italian or French from Year 7 to Year 11. Students can study either one or two languages at GCSE and may choose to continue at A level. Our dedicated teachers and language assistants are creative, outgoing and very supportive.
Our current exam board is AQA for the new GSCE. The main themes at KS3 and KS4 are as follow:
Identity and culture: Family and Friends, Technologies, Free-Time, Customs and Festivals.
Areas of Interest: Home, Social Issues, Global Issues, Travel & Tourism
Studies and Employment: Life at School, Education Post-16
We offer an overview of these at KS3 and we teach in more detail at KS4 following the OUP textbooks for Spanish and French, and Amici for Italian.
Useful websites to help with home learning:
Home learning is a key part of our students’ progress and there are a number of websites that students can use in order to consolidate their learning at home.
School subscription websites
French & Spanish
- www.languagenut.com ( interactive resources to practise vocabulary and grammar as per
the courses followed at KS3 and KS4)
- www.kerboodle.com (digital learning platform to complement the textbooks followed at KS4)
- www.thisislanguage.com (Authentic language videos based on GCSE topics; grammar section)
- www.uk.language-gym.com (Verb trainer; vocabulary and grammar workouts)
Other useful websites
- www.quizlet.com (Flashcards and games to learn and consolidate vocabulary)
- www.studystack.com (Flashcards and games to learn and consolidate vocabulary)
- www.languagesonline.ouk (Interactive resources to revise grammar and vocabulary)
- www.education.vic.gov.au/LanguagesOnline/ (Interactive resources)
- www.conjuguemos.com (verbs and tenses conjugation practice)
At Goffs, there are at least 34 languages spoken by members of our community. The most spoken languages by our students other than English are Turkish, Greek and Polish and you may know that Polish is the second most spoken language in the UK after English! Many of these students take the GCSE and/or A level qualifications in these languages.
In recent years, Turkish GCSE and A level students have some regular lessons with an external teacher, to support them with achieving the highest grades in the exams.