The Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) is a fantastic opportunity for our most ambitious students to give themselves an edge for university applications and job opportunities. It is offered to all students on Pathway 1 and Pathway 2 within Sixth Form.
This qualification gives students the opportunity to explore and research a topic of their own choosing and develop their own arguments based on the opinions of others; a perfect primer for the kind of work an aspiring university student will be undertaking in the future.
The project consists of three components; the main portion is usually produced in the form of a dissertation-style essay but can also be produced using video, models, paintings, music and much more. Alongside this, the students fill out a Production Log which details their planning and research and finally, a final presentation at the end of the project delivered to a panel of teachers and fellow students.
This qualification is equivalent to half an A-Level, which equates to 28 UCAS points at A*. A number of universities now look at the EPQ as a vital aspect of application and some will offer overall lower grades for entry alongside an A/A* in EPQ. These 'EPQ Offers' are known to be given out by universities such as Southampton, Manchester, Bristol, Warwick, Birmingham and many other top universities.
Perks of EPQ:-
- Worth half an A-Level
- Highly regarded by Russell Group Universities
- Chance to develop research and writing skills that transfer directly to university study
- Boosting confidence in presentation and literacy; reaching higher standards in planning and organising
- Best work is published in the school LRC
- Topics can be based on anything; from university and career options to personal interests
- Includes a visit to a university library and research workshop
Goffs Academy matches your ambition to achieve to the best of your ability – if you have a question that you have always wanted answering, the EPQ may be the right path for you. For more information please contact Mrs Collins, our EPQ Coordinator, via email email@example.com.